Alicante-Elche is one of six airports operated by Aena in Spain to have been recognised with Skytrax’s highest safety rating.
Defined as recognising “very high standards”, the 5-star certification has also been bestowed on Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas, Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat, Málaga-Costa del Sol, Palma de Mallorca and Tenerife Norte-Ciudad de la Laguna airports in Spain.
Established in 1989, Skytrax is an international air transport rating organisation that created the COVID-19 Airline Safety Rating in August 2020 as a global assessment and certification of airline health and safety measures during the coronavirus pandemic
The rating provides independent, expert validation of hygiene and safety measures, and evaluates front-line facilities and service to determine how effectively and consistently COVID-19 procedures are being provided. It covers a diverse and extensive range of areas and protocols:
- Terminal cleanliness, cleaning and disinfection procedures
- Standard and usage conformity of staff personal protective equipment
- Branding, standard and application of social distancing signage, floor markers and seat distancing
- Hand sanitiser facilities
- Airport PA guidance
- Organisation and control of passenger flows around the airport
- Security screening
- Hygiene systems
- General passenger facilities (including baggage trolleys)
- Control of social distancing and face mask usage
Aena has incorporated more than 100 safety, hygiene and health control measures at its Spanish airports, based on European Commission and European Union Aviation Safety Agency directrixes.
Alicante-Elche Miguel Hernández Airport has previously received international recognition from another global organisation, Airports Council International, for “Best Hygiene Measures by Region” in 2020 and best airport in Europe for quality service in both 2018 and 2019.